Below is a list of opportunities that exist for students. Please let me know if I can add anything
1 week Opportunities:
- Encounters With Canada - students 14 to 17 years of age. 13 different themed weeks. Runs Aug - Apr and you pick the three top weeks that work for you. The whole week will cost no more than $675 - includes airfare both ways, lodging, food and transportation
- Forum For Young Canadians - for any high school students 15 to 19 years of age wanting an intensive academic adventure immersing themselves into the exciting world of national politics and public affairs.
- Rotary Youth Exchanges - 15-19 years of age, short-term or long-term exchange's and other Rotary Leadership Opportunities
Best School Ever Scholarship Contest: Open to Grade 9 to 12 students that wish to attend a boarding school. Those who win a scholarship will live and study on campus at St. Michaels University School, one of Canada’s top-ranked boarding schools, in beautiful Victoria, British Columbia. Deadline 06 Jan 2020
Make a video and submit your entry by January 8 and you could be joining us for the 2020-21 school year.
Calgary Brain Bee Competition: is an international competition that tests the neuroscience knowledge of students from grades 9 - 12 from around the world and will consists of oral, written and hands- on components. The competition takes place 13 April 2019
Community Programming: Are you a grade 10-12 student interested in learning about the business world? Are you an “ideas person”? Or maybe you just want a more hands-on learning opportunity to fill out your course schedule next year, where you get to work with your peers in a fun, relaxed setting, while gaining work experience to add to your resume. October - March
Digital Bootcamp - Centre for Arts and Technology: 13-26 March 2020 - This multi-day, jam-packed adventure is a combination of education and hands-on experience for those in grades 10,11, and 12 with a passion for the digital arts. Students will take part in a designated Bootcamp mission that will allow students to test-drive the digital arts program of their choice. Boot camp is truly a not-to-be-missed hands-on learning experience that could lead to your dream career. Deadline 28 Feb 2020
Educational Tours - Canadian Youth Ambassador Program: Youths between the ages of 13-18 are encouraged to identify specific issues in the local community that has significance at a national and global level. Thirty Ambassadors will be selected across Canada to receive mentorship from an all-party team of Members of Parliament, Senators and community leaders. There will be an opportunity to travel to Ecuador on a Service Learning Tour in the Amazon in March 2018. Deadline 13 Nov 2019
House of Commons Page Program - graduating grade 12 students who plan to attend a post-secondary institution in the National Capital Region.
Katimavik - This program has recently been re-instated. Please feel free to check out their website on how you can get involved to have this program
Legislative Assembly of Alberta Page Program: Open to students who are at least 15 years of age by September 1, 2018, entering Grade 10, 11 or 12 as a full-time student, and they need to demonstrate a strong and consistent academic standing. Participation in the program requires a great deal of commitment. Students should be able to balance work demands with school and extracurricular activities. Deadline: 31 May 2019
MacEwan Business Challenge - is a half-day event created for a team of 4 high school students to compete and cooperate while solving real business challenges. Deadline: 28 Feb 2020
Minister's Youth Council - Are you passionate about education? Are you in junior or senior high and between the ages of 13 and 19 (as of 01 Sep). We are looking for 32 students with diverse interests, identities, backgrounds, and perspectives from all across Alberta to participate as partners in contributing to our education system. Are you able to commit three weekends during the school year? Meetings will be held in Edmonton in September, February, and May (dates are subject to change). Deadline 30 March 2019
Prime Minister's Youth Council - Canadian youth, permanent residents and protected persons aged 16-24 years can apply. Deadline: 30 Nov 2018
- Projects Abroad - goal is to provide students with the opportunity to live and work in developing countries in a way that is both convenient and safe for the students and positive for the countries themselves. This organization sends volunteers ages 16 and up to 29 countries to do over 150 different unpaid internships and service projects for as little as 2 weeks or up to a year. They provide meaningful work, oversea support, and a flexible timeline.
- RCMP National Youth Advisory Committee - October 2019 - June 2020 - looking for youth ages 13-17 & 18-21 to take part in the development of RCMP youth strategies and outreach initiative. Deadlines: 31 Jul & 12 Sep 2019
- RCMP National Youth Engagement Week - a unique opportunity for grade 12 students to experience five days the Depot in Regina Saskatchewan, Deadline: 31 Jan 2019
- RDC JumpStart: This program is an opportunity for current high school students to take university level courses that will count for credit towards RDC and RDC degree transfer programs. Tuition for taking these courses as a high school student is free! Only the cost of parking and course materials are not covered by RDC.
- Study and Go Abroad - Admission to the fair is FREE and you can register on the day or in advance. All the details are on their website!!
- TeamUp Science - Offers workshops in the Medical, Engineer, and Computer Science fields and an Interdisciplinary Science competition for high school students
- Verna J Kirkness Science & Engineering Education Program - Open for Gr 11 Indigenous Students to spend a week at a Canadian university interacting with scientists in their research lab. Accommodations, meals and transportation are covered by this scholarship. Deadline: 20 Dec 2019
- Alberta Junior Forest Rangers - Students aged 16 -18 years will be given the opportunity to find out about careers in natural resource management to gain employment skills and to make new friends. Become a JFR and spend your summers outside while earning work experience credits. Deadline: 01 April 2019
- QUINN RAP Steamfitter-Pipefitter Summer Opportunities: Application Deadline: 11 April 2019
Red Deer Minor Ball - Summer Maintenance Worker - students attending high school, college or university in 2017-2018 that are looking for a summer job. Starts 01 Jul - 31 Aug Deadline: 29 April 2018
- ACCA Summer Youth Camps - The Alberta Community and Cooperative Association Youth Camp is a unique opportunity to develop your leadership skills, create lasting friendships and have a lot of fun. Located at Goldeye Centre near Nordegg, AB. There are seven different programs for students ages 11 - 18 with each session lasting seven consecutive days, Bussing is provided from Red Deer to and from the camp.
- Berridge Programs - offers a non-competitive, nurturing environment for a young artist, aged 14 - 19, to pursue the study of theater or film surrounded by the historical and cultural riches of Normandy, France. Scholarships and financial needs scholarships are available.
- Blyth International - combines exciting and unique travel programs with world-class high-school faculty to foster profound learning in an immersive international environment. Over 20 exciting and unique experiences across 30 countries available to students in March Break and Summer International Community Service Programs. Financial Aid is available, but deadlines apply.
- Canadian Armed Forces - Bold Eagle - Are you an Aboriginal youth interested in a 6-week challenging summer experience that delivers hands-on skills development, encourages teamwork, provides physical fitness and promotes cultural awareness? Deadline: 30 April
- Health Sciences Career Camp - a summer program for students in grades 9 - 11 who are interested in the health care field. Sessions offered in 5 locations, one being at here in Red Deer.
- Heritage Youth Researcher Summer Program - current grade 11 students may apply with an average of 85% in Math and Science courses
- Heritage Youth Research Summer Program - U of C - 05 Jul - 16 Aug 2018 - current grade 11 students will gain experience with biomedical and health research and an introduction into research. Applicants require 85% in Math 20-1 or 20-2, Bio 20 and another 20 level science. Deadline: 22 March 2018
- SHAD - SHAD is a registered Canadian charity that empowers exceptional high school students – at a pivotal point in their education – to recognize their own capabilities and envision their extraordinary potential as tomorrow’s leaders and change-makers. Each year, SHAD provides the opportunity for 700+ students from across Canada and internationally to attend a month-long summer program, in-residence at one of our Canadian top universities, focused on STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts & math). Deadline: 20 Nov 2017
- Summer at Red Deer College - Come explore the possibilities!!! We offer exceptional instructors, first-rate facilities and the chance to engage in new activities while creating lasting friendships. Day Camp and Overnight camps are available for students ages 6 - 18
- TeamUp Science - STEM Potential Enrichment Camp - a free 6-week summer camp for high school students interested in wanting to explore their potential in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- WISEST Summer Research Programs - provides an awesome opportunity for young women and young men who have completed Grade 11 to gain first-hand information about the diverse fields in science, engineering and technology disciplines! Participants work as paid research assistants on a project in an area that is less-traditional for their gender for six weeks in July and August
- Youth Summer Programs - University of Toronto - Every summer, high school student, Gr 10 & 11, are offered an exclusive glimpse into the world of medicine and medical research by the University of Toronto's Faculty of Medicine or Gr 10-12 students a unique law school experience by the University of Toronto’s Faculty of Law. Students from across North America and around the world are invited to learn at Canada's most prestigious medical and law school.