Why take Chinese at HHHS?
- It is the language spoken by the larger population in the world.
- China has the longest continuous history of a single civilization. It offers unimaginable breadth and depth of culture and history. One can never overestimate its influence over Asian-Pacific and the whole world.
- China is the fastest growing major economy in the world. There are many business, government and employment opportunities inside and outside of Canada which hinge on one's ability of mastering Chinese.
- AP Chinese (Advanced Placement) is well established for both high school credits and university credits.
- HHHS offers student-centered learning in Chinese classroom.
- Mandarin is the easiest spoken language to learn.
- Chinese language and culture is unique and fun to learn. Extra curriculum activities include Chinese New Year celebration.
- HHHS Chinese program offers field trip to China Town Multicultural Center to Calgary or Edmonton every spring.
- HHHS Chinese students have an opportunity to participate in a trip to China in 2012.
- A number of HHHS Chinese program graduates are currently pursuing university education in Beijing while teaching ESL there.
- HHHS Chinese students are encouraged to take HSK (Chinese Government Standard Exam ~ 6 levels) which is accredited by China for proficiency in Chinese.
Chinese New Year Celebration
- Yearly event to enrich students' cultural life.
- Rich experiences with lion dance, dragon dance, and Chinese banquet.
- Opportunity to showcase students' talents such as singing, dancing, music, and drama.
- Open to the public; brings parents, friends, and community together.
Field Trip and China Trip
- Spring field trip to Edmonton or Calgary visiting China Town, Cultural Centre, Confucius College, Buddhist Temple and sample Chinese food.
- China trips - visiting Great Wall of China, Forbidden City in Beijing, Panda Research Centre, Terracotta Soldiers in Xian and shopping in Shanghai, and much more.
Opportunity of University Education at Capital Normal University, Beijing, China
- Opportunity to obtain a university degree in China.
- Chinese Scholarship is available for G12 Mandarin students.
- Opportunity to teach English as Second Language while studying in China.
For further information, contact the instructor:
Mrs. Sandy Cai, M.Ed.
Certified AP Chinese teacher
2009 Semi-Finalist Excellence in Teaching Award
403-342-6655 ext. 2106
For the Asia Society Partnership for Global Learning Newsletter